Entry Title: "
H3 EXPERIENCE CENTRE"
Category: Professional, Industrial
Designer(s): KEAT ONG
Background:Isabel Flooring is an established flooring specialist in China. H3 is their foray into other wood products such as timber doors and built-in furnitures. This design exercise will attempt to portray H3 as The Wood Specialist and set a store identity for the brand's countrywide expansion.
Site:The site is located in one of the new building materials centers in Songming County, Kunming.
The site area of 533.5 square meter is to be expanded into a double storey 994 square meter sales centre.
Design Brief: To create a new kind of shopping experience for the consumers in a highly competitive building materials market.
To create a strong and memorable store identity with maximum visual impact.
To portray the brand's effort in it's constant push for sustainable process and products
To capitalize on Isabel's success in laminate flooring
To create H3's image as The Wood Specialist, the storefront is composed of 5 different types of wood structure interlocking together in a multi-layered and articulated manner.
To portray H3's support for the environment, all the wood on the facade are reused pinewood which is readily available in the local area.
To take advantage of the parent brand's heritage in laminated flooring, the design used the product to lead customers into the other new products. A brand new Ribbon system of flooring sample presentation is created which brings customers from one zone to another.
With the Ribbon system, customers are led from one zone to another, allowing them to move in a structured yet open manner, guiding them , yet not restricting them.
The sample zones are created to allow customers to see how the different products can be matched to form different harmonious living environments to help customers solve common design dilemmas.
Impact on Users and Environment
- external wood panels are all recycled from surrounding old
building and construction materials
- the original building is a big shed cladded in aluminium panels and new facade simply clad itself around it to avoid the fate of demolition of the old building
- openable windows, strategically - placed doors and high ceilings encouraged good cross-ventilation to avoid usage of air-con
Social Contribution, National significance and Iconic value to Singapore
- recognized by the local industry (Yunnan) and media as a scene transforming landmark project that sets new height to this kind of building typology.
- been recognized by Yunnan locals as a Singaporean designed masterpiece .